Tuesday, November 13, 2007

One Door Opened, One Door Locked

I went to my new home tonight after writing class. I had a bunch of friends follow me and we walked through each room together. Aminga laughing, smiling..."this is going to be soooooo much fun Anakha!" I have the key on my ring. I am moving forward. I am standing still. I am looking back.

After our visit to the Ladd's Addition house, Nichole and I drove Peter home to Tualatin and stopped for gas along the way. At 11 p.m. we finally headed for home. Zach had been at the house earlier in the day working on a computer program for his class. We agreed that he would leave the house keys in one of the shoes on the front porch. Nich and I get home, arms loaded with stuff...I bend down, reach my hand into the shoe..no key, I turn the shoes over, praying that somehow a key will materialize. No keys. I call Zach...no answer, I call again, no answer, I call again...they turned the phone off. &*&@)!*&^%%$ Both Nich and I have to pee...really bad. Okay, that's taken care of now what? I ask her to go with me down the steps and along the back side of the house. It's dark and we only have a tiny flashlight that she keeps in her purse. "I bet there's a raccoon back here Anakha." Thanks Nichole. We inch our way along in the dark...looking for a way in. Nichole tries a screen, thinks a window may be unlocked. We are in luck...she pops the screen and opens the window. Jack pops his head out...probably wondering why we didn't use the door. Nichole crawls in. I laugh and say, "sometimes it pays to know a felon!" We laugh together. {I love that we can joke about that. Seems like an important part of healing.}

I find it interesting that on the same night that I pick up my new keys, the old ones are gone...nowhere to be found. I have passed through the threshold. I am living a new life.
I am beginning again. There is no turning back. Yes, when one door opens, another closes.

I bless my past, I stand in the present, I create my future. Moving starts tomorrow....sweet dreams!

1 comment:

Anakha Coman said...

Shannon and Nichole and all,
Omigawd...I love this story..I am blown away by the metaphor! I have been a bit reluctant to say one door is locked.(and I understand THAT is about me)...and in many senses that old door is locked. I agree with Aminga...this is going to be soo good...an opening of a whole new way of being in the world and within your own heart and soul! Yeah God...I am so happy this is all moving forward the way it is...
Blessings on this day.
mom